I'm not really in the market for one of these but they don't pop up on CL around here very often (half an hour drive from me). Are these decent amps? More for P.A. use or suitable for hi-fi?
Altec 1590B 200W Power amp
I'm not really in the market for one of these but they don't pop up on CL around here very often (half an hour drive from me). Are these decent amps? More for P.A. use or suitable for hi-fi?
Altec 1590B 200W Power amp
Being of "Sound" Mind

Not bad, not wonderful. Not worth $150. I wouldn't pay more than half that. A tad rolled off in the lows, if you have a sub not an issue. Don't plan on it being a sub amp without mods.
If you are gonna go solid state Altec look at 9444A (not B). Clean ones come up for about that $150 occasionally. I sold one to a friend for 75 a year or so back.
Your neighbors called. They like your music.

If you need a limited-bandwidth SS audio amp that can auto-switch from AC line to DC backup on a budget, they're awesome.Otherwise you can find something modern 1/4 the size that will out perform them quite easily.. They don't go low or high and are for speech PA really...
In their bandwidth though these are great sounding amps... 50 Hz - 12 Khz.
Bookmarks